Saturday, February 20, 2010

John Mayer Is The Devil

John Mayer is the Devil.

I had long believed this to be true even before the risible quotes from his forthcoming Playboy interview (link:http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1631667/20100210/mayer_john.jhtml) were made public. The evidence of his Lucifuge could be found in his 70's lite rock well before he referred to Jessica Simpson as "sexual napalm," casually called homosexuals "fags," and said his penis was a "white-supremacist" (dear God!).

If you look at his biggest hits, it becomes awfully clear that this guy is pitching to the lowest denominator. He has recorded a succession of songs that seem inoffensive on the surface, but when you dig deeper, it doesn't take long to realize that these tunes--delivered in Mayer's trademark, breathy, gauzy, vocal style--are pretty damn wicked. And not in the good way.

Let me run through three songs in particular:

Take his first hit, "No Such Thing." What is the difference between that shite-fest and "How Do You Talk To An Angel?" The vocals are painfully similar, the music safe and weak, and when he breaks into the high note on the chorus: "I want to run through the halls in high school/I want to scream at the top of my lungs." Well, I agree with the second part.

And how about "Daughters?" This tune sounds like the worst of the AM gold that I had to suffer through at the laundromat in the 1970's. The first notes of that rather ironic (see his Jessica Simpson quote) tribute to women instantly brings the fragrance of detergent to my nostrils, the whirring buzz of the spin cycle to my ears, and the words of Seals and Croft's "Summer Breeze" to my mind. The feeling evoked is damn near suicidal.

However, the worst and most evil of all Mayer songs has to be "Waiting On The World To Change." Given a cursory listen, the tune actually sounds like a breakthrough for Mayer. The track's soulful, Stax-like groove brings to mind an Otis Redding cut, or even the Memphis soul of Al Green. But if you look at the point of "Waiting," what you find is an anthem of apathy. Mayer essentially states that his generation can't be bothered to get involved until the world changes on its own.

Take the third verse:

"It's hard to beat the system/When we're standing at a distance/So we keep waiting Waiting on the world to change"

So don't stand at a distance you freakin' moron!

Or, how about this verse:

"It's not that we don't care/We just know that the fight ain't fair/So we keep on waiting/Waiting on the world to change"

So why fight at all? Why get involved? Let's just wait and see what happens? Bitch, please.

I'm real glad Susan B. Anthony, Martin Luther King Jr., and Harvey Milk didn't subscribe to this philosophy. Because while apathy might not be the root of all evil, it certainly is one of its sturdiest branches. Apathy allowed Jim Crow laws to exist, it kept women from voting until the 20th century, and it prevents homosexuals from experiencing equal rights to this day. It is one of the worst sins imaginable, and John Mayer has written its theme song. Congratulations, douche bag.

Maybe now that Mayer has revealed himself through his sexist, racist, and homophobic comments (what a trifecta!), the world will re-evaluate his useless music and confine it to the dust bins of history along side Air Supply, Jefferson Starship, and Gerry Rafferty. Maybe the guy who said he isn't "open" to having sex with a black woman because while he may have a "Benetton heart," he has a "David Duke cock," will just go away. However, if we can't get rid of R. Kelly, I'm not betting on our chances of pushing this ass clown to the side.

The shame of it all is that Mayer is not untalented. He's a fine and resourceful guitarist, and he has a way with a hook. Of course, I'm quite sure that Satan is good at a number of things too.

Sumo-Pop
February 20, 2010

13 comments:

  1. Risible. Ass-clown. Douche bag. It's all in there. I love it when you snarl. NOW I'm happy! P.s. What's wrong with Gerry Rafferty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up, Dave. I never really thought about the lyrics to that last tune, but have heard some of his jazz trio stuff, and he is talented guitarist. But definitely a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm with you... but I am sad about Air Supply being thrown into the mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your so wrong. people misinterpret him so much. God is good, and so is the heart of life. Grow up, we've all had our "devilish" moments, he's just a famous celebrity. Everyone sees his every move, of course someone as fragile as him will crack once and a while. Judge not lest he be judged. Jesus once was foresaken by all the people, yet he spoke the truth. I can't say John Mayer is a saint, but he isn't the devil. He's just a young man who loves music and has been caught in the torrent of life. This world is messed up, he can't change it, but maybe some of his thoughts can change a few.. for the better. He wishes the world could be a better more peaceful place. John has better intentions than your disrespectful notion of an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And who are you to judge him. What progressive stand have you taken against the world's cruel intentions. At least he's famous making records, and encouraging people (despite your awful interpretation of his "waiting on the world to change" lyrics) and taking a stand saying that a small part is hard to make a difference in this world, but he's making some darn good music. I'm not meaning to say "your so wrong" I just feel that you can't just rag on anyone because you "feel its the devil" when you proceed to swear and say "bitch please". Who would listen to a pastor if he/she was saying "bitch please"?????? Your preaching to the choir my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that it is funny that you posted this on his wall. I am totally indifferent on John Mayer and will leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Nierendorf:

    Obviously you took my John Mayer post a bit more seriously than the tongue-in-cheek manner that it was intended. Of course, I don't think John Mayer is actually the Devil. A massive jerk perhaps, but not the Devil. The commentary was intended as satire or hyperbole, if you will. I realize that not everyone gets that. I guess it's good that I have a choir.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and as far as this part of your response goes:

    "At least he's famous making records, and encouraging people (despite your awful interpretation of his "waiting on the world to change" lyrics) and taking a stand saying that a small part is hard to make a difference in this world, but he's making some darn good music."

    How in the hell is sitting on your ass "waiting" taking a stand. It is the very opposite of such. And as far as me and my personal life. I do indeed give my time and money to causes I believe in. I have walked strange streets and knocked on unknown doors to register people to vote. I write my congressmen on a regular basis, and I support a number of causes. Not that I have to defend myself to you, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you did defend yourself... btw....
    So I think you should quit your cynical view and opposition to some things you may not understand. He isn't saying he's waiting on the world to change literally, and quite honestly unless you have a change to actually talk to him, and have a one on one, no one will understand the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Nierendorf,

    A friend of mine works on a certain daytime television show in Los Angeles and has met Mr. Mayer. And you know what? She found him to be a massive jerk. BTW, how about you defend yourself for defending such awful rhetoric by your hero? It dosen't take a conversation with someone to dislike their music and take issue with sexist, racist, and homophobic comments. It does however take an apologist to defend them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cory Quimbinator QuimbyFebruary 23, 2010 at 6:39 AM

    Yeah, no.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alison Collins AldridgeFebruary 25, 2010 at 6:21 AM

    Go away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand that you're upset and trying to express your opinion to the world, or whatever, but really? Use words that don't make you look like what you think he is? Ever think of that, hmm? At least more people who disagree with you would respect you more and let you say what you want.

    ReplyDelete