Monday, May 18, 2009

The Return of Michael Vick

---For Lily, Sarah, and Dusty

Soon, very soon, Michael Vick will be released from prison after serving 17 months for his dog fighting related conviction. Vick was originally sentenced to 23 months in december of 2007. Now the NFL has to figure out what to do with him. Do they extend his suspension from the sport, do they let him return with certain conditions, or do they bring him back with open arms? Sadly, painfully, I believe they should opt for the second choice. Let him return to the game but keep him on a short leash (no pun intended).

I was never a huge fan of Vick. Being a lifelong Miami Dolphins fan I don't often attach myself to athletes who don't play for my team. That being said, I loved to watch him play. He is the most unique athlete to ever play the quarterback position. His ability to turn a broken play into a 50 yard scamper leaving empty-armed defenders in his wake was something to behold. So, it was terribly disturbing to learn of his involvement in the heinous activity (it ain't no sport) of dog fighting.

Now I should reveal something about myself. I am a dog nut. I love my two-year-old walker hound like she's my child. Because to me she is. I find dog fighting and those involved to be vile and repugnant. The fact that Vick will only end up serving 17 months of his ridiculously short 23 month sentence is an outrage to me. There are many reasons why I detest the length of sentence that Vick received. For one, it wasn't just dog fighting--- it was racketeering and running a criminal operation. For two, the people involved in this endeavor are typically involved in other criminal activities as well. But the most significant issue to me is the treatment of the dogs.

Those who run dog fighting rings are guilty of crimes against nature. To take a dog, build up it's loyalty and then turn it loose on another dog is bad enough, but that's only part of the story. Aside from the fact that the dogs receive terrible and often fatal injuries in these contests, what often happens afterwards (should they survive) is even worse. These dogs are often killed by the very people who raised them once they have outlived their usefulness. This same treatment is reserved for dogs who don't show appropriate aggression. In the case of one of Vick's dogs--- who was deemed unfit for fighting--- the dog was slammed to the ground repeatedly. Another was hung from the neck until dead. But the non-aggressive dog may actually receive an even worse fate. That of a bait dog. These dogs are put in front of a more aggressive dog for "training" purposes. The handler will often hold food back from the fighting dog and antagonize the animal until good and angry and then place the "weaker" dog in front of it and let it release his/her aggression. There are even documented cases of family pets being stolen from backyards to serve in this capacity.

There is also the issue of what this has done to the most popular fighting breed, the pitbull. Contrary to popular belief, these dogs are not naturally aggressive. What they are most known for in breeder and veterinarian circles is their easy loyalty to their owners. This coupled with their powerful physique and jaws makes them an unfortunate, but natural choice for dog fighting. This has understandably led to misconceptions about the breed. In fact, in the city of Detroit, if a pitbull is taken in by animal control for any reason--- that dog will be euthanized, aggressive or not.

So this is what Michael Vick was a part of. What kind of person must he be? I've heard the excuse that it's part of his "culture." That the activity has been passed down from other family members and that he is only following tradition. Bullshit. It's a crime. A horrible crime.

So how then can I accept his return to professional football? Well, because in this country once you serve your sentence you should be able to look for and find meaningful work. What Vick did had nothing to do with the NFL. He wasn't caught using performance enhancing drugs. He wasn't caught shaving points or gambling. He was caught dog fighting. And as awful and painful as it is for me to admit, one thing has nothing to do with the other. Now certainly Commissioner Goodell has the right to place limitations on Vick in regards to any future trouble he may get into. If Vick should run afoul of the law after reentering the NFL then I would expect the punishment to be swift and severe. But he should be allowed to return.

However, it is my hope that no owner of any NFL franchise would deem his athletic gifts worthy of risking the team's public relations. I can't possibly imagine the type of protests that would greet Vick at each stadium he would enter or why an owner would want to subject their team to this reaction. But I am certain someone will take that risk if they think he will help them win. So go ahead bring him back. But know this, your franchise will become the most hated by many fans including myself. And if the Miami Dolphins decide to add Michael Vick to their roster, I will have a new favorite team every week. Whoever suits up against them.

Sumopop
May 18, 2009

1 comment:

  1. I would say that the Lions would sign him, but with Millen no longer in charge I would say that won't happen which is a relief. I can't see the Phins signing him, at least I hope not. I could see the Cowboys sign him as a backup, or the Redskins. They have owners that might do something like that.
    May 18 at 10:18pm · Delete

    ReplyDelete