Sunday, November 22, 2009

Debaser

On November 10th, 2009 John Allen Muhammad was carried to the death chamber and executed by lethal injection at the Greenville Correctional Facility in Jarratt, Virginia. Muhammad was better known as the "DC Sniper," who with the help of his accomplice Lee Boyd Malvo, was responsible for a reign of terror that resulted in at least ten deaths in and around the nation's capitol. Muhammad and Malvo would stake out a distant position and wait for some innocent victim to cross their rifle sights, whom they would then fire upon. Their actions were vile, cowardly, and disgusting. After they were caught on October 24, 2002 they were convicted of 1st degree murder and sentenced. Malvo received life in prison, and Muhammad was sentenced to death.

For someone like myself--who believes the death penalty should be abolished--Muhammad is the absolute worst case scenario when it comes to defending my opinion. A deranged, unrepentant killer like Muhammad tests my position like few others could. Like I said, he's the worst. And while I am very sensitive to the desires of the victim's family members, I will continue to take the stand that capital punishment has no place in modern society.

First, the adjudication of the death penalty disproportionately disfavors minorities and the poor. In a country where 74% of the population is white, 1768 of the 3572 inmates on death row are non-white. Nearly 50%. It's not hard to ascertain why. Minorities are still economically disadvantaged in the USA compared to the white majority. Often, the difference between life and death is whether the accused can afford to hire a decent attorney or not. Public defenders are much like probation officers: Overworked, underpaid, and with far too many clients to serve effectively. Does anyone seriously think that OJ Simpson would have beat the double murder charges he faced in California had he not been able to buy his "dream team" of lawyers? Former Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black once said, "There can be no equal justice where the kind of trial a man gets depends on the amount of money he has." Ain't it the truth.

Many would argue that the death penalty is a deterrent to others. However, there is literally no accepted scientific evidence to support this. Murder--whether it be of the cold-blooded variety or a crime of passion--is not a rational act. For one to be deterred by the fear of being put to death, one would have to be in their right mind. I think it's fair to say that sociopaths, psychos, and those in a blind rage do not qualify as rational. Therefore, how could it be a deterrent?

It is also irrevocable. Once the punishment has been handed out it cannot be reversed. This is particularly unfortunate for those who may later be proven innocent. As just about anyone can tell you, our justice system is not perfect. Since 1992 DNA evidence has exonerated at least 15 death row inmates. And DNA evidence is available in only a fraction of capital cases. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if there were 15 innocent people awaiting execution then there are certainly more on death row now who simply lack the appropriate scientific evidence to set them free. I would submit that if there is only one person who fits that description then there are far too many.

Some might also say that it's not fair to ask for tax payer dollars to go towards the health and housing of murderers and rapists. While I certainly understand that point of view, I wonder if those that hold that opinion know that it typically costs more to put someone to death than it does to keep them alive. This is due in large part to the lengthy appeals process that our justice system provides for the convicted. Maybe those same people think we should further limit the appeals process to make it a less expensive process. However, I can think of at least 15 people since 1992 who would probably disagree.

As I said before, Muhammad is the most difficult argument to make for someone like me. His was the very definition of an open and shut case. There is no doubt that he committed these awful, heinous murders, and that he is indeed deserving of severe punishment. So how can I advocate for his right to live (although not to live as he might choose)? Well, because for me, it really isn't about him, it's about us. In the end I believe a policy of capital punishment debases us as a people. I know many Christians point to "An eye for an eye" as it is written in the Old Testament. I would counter that Jesus himself was a victim of a wrongfully adjudicated death sentence (remember he was both poor and a minority). Not to mention, after Jesus came, the Old Testament became just that...old. You see, I always view Jesus as a rather forgiving sort and I find it hard to believe that he would want us to take away some one's opportunity for ultimate forgiveness by executing them. Who's to say that an inmate couldn't find redemption after twenty years in prison? Should they not be afforded the opportunity?

Now, I know that if God forbid, someone that I love were to be murdered that I might feel differently. While I would hope not, I think it's quite possible that if the authorities apprehended the guilty party and the court sentenced the offender to death, I would be more than willing to pull the switch myself. But then what would that say about me? That I would be willing to trade my own humanity for a hollow serving of revenge? And in turn, what then does the continuing existence of the death penalty say about us? The answer isn't pretty.

Sumo-Pop
November 22, 2009

16 comments:

  1. What does it say about us indeed. Irrevocable is also another great point. Nice job defending the 'indefensible'

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should write a book Sumo-Pop. I learn something valuable everytime I read your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always being challenged by some smartarse who says "So if it was YOUR child who was murdered, you're saying you'd still not want the killer to be executed?"

    My answer is always "NO!" God knows, the human nature side of me would want the arsehole to burn in hell, but then decency takes over. My kid would've been murdered, so why would I want another human life taken in her name? Lock the bastard up forever and I MEAN FOREVER!!!! Not for 15 years, not for 'life' (25 years)....but FOREVER!!!!!

    That is justice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really great. Your arguments, which sometimes in real life degenerate into rants because of your intensity, come off here as impassioned but well-though-out and eminently reasonable -- which of course will piss off your opponents more than a rant ever could. VERY nice work, mon ami.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl Jenkins JacksonJune 17, 2010 at 7:27 PM

    Very good article David. Firing squad? Wow!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl Jenkins JacksonJune 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM

    I heard that one of the guns will sound like the real thing, but actually fire blanks. No one knows which one, but supposedly the thought that you were the one firing the blanks should ease the conscience of the executioner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. for some of these guys and the mind numbing brutality that they have inflicted, i would want to know that my gun was the one that got them. no blanks required. needless to say i am pro death penalty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about all those people who have been released based on DNA evidence? Don't you think there are a few on death row now? I used to be in favor of the death penalty too. Respectfully, I disagree with you, Bartholomew

    ReplyDelete
  10. david, thanks for the blog post and i agree with some of your writing. however for folks like muhammad and mcveigh that took pleasure in their victims suffering and showed no remorse, i can not think of merely locking them up but using the ultimate tool to punish them for their crimes. i dont see the death penalty as a deterrent. i see it as a tool that our society has legally enacted to punish those that step out side the bounds of that society and for those i would gladly pull the swtich. as i said, i respectfully disagree with your position and thanks for sharing your thoughts. i have had a family member brutally murdered and his killers apprehended (the killers shot and killed 4 people including a set of twin brothers in cold blood), however my thoughts on the death penalty preceeded those murders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is no unity until the guys who lost the last presidential election unfold their smugly crossed arms to shake hands in anything other than obstructionist and schadenfreude.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrea Borelli ThompsonJune 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM

    Another eye opener and superbly written, shocker, lol...
    First off, i didnt know that sniper guy was executed, i remember the terror, so i dont know why i didnt know that. I ride the fence with the death penalty, and gotta say, you made some valid points to sway me. The race issue weirdly, never crossed my mind but its very true. I sensed the "affordable power" attorneys point with OJ, but never thought of it in death penalty terms, more just the getting off part. Again, i agree and now see it differently. Add in the DNA and how many have been exonerated because of it and its a cluster f*&* for me, pardon my English, lol.. I agree too, that one many is one too many. I always feel terrible for those (mostly black because the victim says so, in some cases) that are innocent and are jailed for 10, 20, 30 years and it irks me as not enough money in the world can give you that time back with loved ones and freedom. Talk about a BAD rap. The only time i deem the DP (not the dirty one, lol) very appropriate is when it comes to kids, or the innocent. I realize one human is no better than another, but anyone who can hurt a child or elderly, are scum of the earth and have no place being here. Im a Christian and i dont feel bad feeling that way. I remember a little 3 yr. old girl that was raped repeatedly and murdered. I wanted that monster to die, no question.
    *Running out of room, ill continue on next email, its a hot topic, you must be bombarded with replies! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea Borelli ThompsonJune 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM

    Anyways, i guess i fall in the category of certain cases being justifiable for it, if 100% sure. Like that little girls case. I know with molestation, people want to fall on the side of caution and deal with the wrong, if needed, later, (another whole story), but im not sure this applies....I do have to say, you made me rethink my position in general, although with kids and such, again, i would still want them tied by their ankles upside down...lol
    All in all, your blog is a thinkers one, maybe controversial, but i like those. Great topic that i could discuss and go on forever about, but dont want to waste anymore of your time. So many avenues i havent even touched on...8)
    In ending, i loved it, and as usual, learned a great deal from it. So glad that youre using your God given talent, as its too much to go to waste. Thankyou for sending them to me and asking my opinion, not that its needed, but i do appreciate it and im always fascinated with what you write. I look forward to them!! 8)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ‎"Well, because for me, it really isn't about him, it's about us".

    Very well put, every word. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete