Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Tucson Memorial: We Had Forgotten

"No one laughs at God in a hospital."--Regina Spektor

As President Obama made his way tonight to the lectern at the University of Arizona's memorial service for those that we lost on Saturday due to a deeply troubled and deranged young man's violent outburst, it struck me that the President we needed was the one we first got to know on the campaign trail.

The gifted orator who transfixed and inspired so many of us while crisscrossing our nation had perhaps to some degree been missing in action. Not that he wasn't the same person. Or even a disappointment. Hardly. The extraordinary legislative achievements of the past two years were largely in keeping with the promises he made to us as a Senator running for the highest office in the land.

It's often said that you campaign in poetry and govern in prose. Perhaps we had so much hearty prose that we didn't realize how much we missed the poetry.

Until now.

The last two years have been as divisive and disturbing as any I can remember in my 40 years. Sometimes it's like watching that scene in Rebel Without A Cause when after being apprehended, James Dean bellows at his bickering parents in front of a police officer "You say one thing, she says another thing, then everybody switches back again!"

We have seen little but anger, rancor, and a nastiness that questions the faith, patriotism, and even the birthright of those who we disagree with. Too often this example set by our elected leaders have been followed by us in the electorate. We have been like children of alcoholics. The kind that do not learn from the mistakes of our elders, but repeat them. I consider myself among the number who has all too often followed suit.

Tonight, our President reminded us of the best of America. He shared the stories of these seemingly ordinary Americans who lived lives of dignity and grace. Lives that were threatened, wounded--and in the case of six--prematurely ended. He challenged us to live up to their memory.

The memory of an honorable judge.

The memory of a devoted couple.

The memory of a dedicated husband who used his body as a human shield.

The memory of a quilter who just wanted to say hello to a congresswoman she was fond of.

The memory of a young public servant on the cusp of his first marriage.

The memory of a sweet nine year old little girl with an unusual curiosity about public service.

He reminded us to "jump in rain puddles."

He also reminded us of the living.

He reminded us of a young man who ran toward the sound of gunfire to save the life of a boss he had only been employed by for a week.

He reminded us of three citizens who tackled the shooter and stemmed his madness before further terror could be inflicted.

He reminded us of the first responders and the vigilant doctors who worked so quickly to reduce the mortality level of those simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He reminded us of a congresswoman who would regularly spend her weekends among her constituents by scheduling events she would call "congress on a corner."

And for many of us, he reminded us of why we liked him in the first place.

He reminded me that there was a reason why I walked those streets and knocked on those doors.

There was a reason I lent my full throat to those rallies.

There was a reason I badgered and cajoled those that were on the fence or apathetic.

There was a reason I walked into that ballot box and darkened that circle next to his name.

And that reason was in full bloom tonight.

And though the ice and snow has covered my state in such a way that it may be a long time before I get to see my next rain puddle, I do know what I'm going to do when I next make its acquaintance.

Sumo-Pop
January 12, 2010

65 comments:

  1. A beautiful reflection David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a speck of dust compared to that speech. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't suffer in comparison, David. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, that is the nicest thing that anyone's said to me in a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thurman Williams likes this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed your inspiration today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan Protheroe likes this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nina Delany likes this

    ReplyDelete
  10. AndrĂ©a Borelli ThompsonJanuary 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM

    Wow, again, thankyou for your words David! They always lift me and remind me of just why we voted for our wonderful President, just whats needed at this time... A++!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila Fahey WalleniusJanuary 13, 2011 at 7:57 AM

    Sheila Fahey Wallenius likes this

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michele Moreno-CheverezJanuary 13, 2011 at 7:57 AM

    Michele Moreno-Cheverez likes this

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darlene Stukas likes this

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paola Maya Kassis likes this

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you David E Phillips for this uplifting piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cinthia Weneck likes this

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheryl Duke likes this

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joseph Rivas likes this

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diane Robinson-Davis NewtonJanuary 13, 2011 at 8:02 AM

    Diane Robinson-Davis Newton likes this

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing it, Midge. Last night was like having your heart broken and then having it pieced back together for you. All credit goes to the President, the first inspirer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Peggy Ruch likes this

    ReplyDelete
  22. He is awsome...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I watched and cried like so many others. This man, our president, is good from the inside out and that clearly showed last night.... You did a wonderful job of putting it onto paper David.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Swapna Baumann BabliJanuary 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM

    I was riveted to the tv while tears coursed down my cheeks. We need words like this to dampen the fire that destroys and turn it into a soft glow of comfort and hope. I also prayed for those who lost family members and particularly those of... the young child lost to her parents . I cannot imagine and and dont want to ever dear god no, what a parent feels when a child is lost. President Obama's speech was real in his empathy, and the list of those extra-ordinary individuals who intervened and stopped further fatalities.

    Thank you Midge for sharing.See More

    ReplyDelete
  25. Swapna Baumann BabliJanuary 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM

    Swapna Baumann Babli The President practices what he preaches. He took Ben Quale of Indiana on his plane after Ben called him the the most corrupt president.
    Boner invited ut declined. We all know where Boner (name given by G. Bush) was. At a Fundraiser paid fo...r with tax-payer money, in xpensive suit, shoes paid for with taxpayerss, tanned, wigged with tax-payer money to be bribed by CEOs to pass american-job killing legislation. All possible because h has a steady income from tax-payers he screws everyday.See More

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, he has always reached out. He's been rejected by the right but always extends his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alfonso Edwards Jr likes this

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kent D. Wilcox likes this

    ReplyDelete
  29. Linda Lou Bennington NolanJanuary 13, 2011 at 8:15 AM

    Linda Lou Bennington Nolan likes this

    ReplyDelete
  30. Um, okay, Mr. Phillips, that was fucking INCREDIBLE! Did you write that just tonight? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  31. David, I found your post, beautifully done..thank you so much-look forward to your future postings..

    ReplyDelete
  32. You've done it again, Phillips. Well done. I will post it on my wall after a little while. I just posted something else which I will send you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you. You know this, but you have a wonderful way of stating things. :-) I will be sharing this one all over.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cheryl Jenkins JacksonJanuary 13, 2011 at 8:26 AM

    Me too David... I can't wait for the snow to melt and for it to rain... I am going to play in the rain and jump in the puddles. :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. am not sure I have heard a better speaker in my lifetime. I heard some say it was more like a pep rally and to those I say that a memorial service should be more about the celebration of life and less about the sadness of death. When my sister died at the age of 44 from breast cancer and my father died of cancer two years ago, I tried to lighten things up and except for few it was appreciated. Those few had to audacity to ask if I was close to those that passed away. I agree with you, I have never seen a political climate like this in my years of following politics. I have not ever seen a time when one man has has every inch of his presidency picked to pieces. Barack Obama has risen above it. I have attempted to do the same, but it keeps coming in waves and no matter how many facts you throw in the face of the opposition they choose to hang on to the old tired arguments.
    One day on the DCCC page a conservative mentioned free cell phones for welfare recipients. I showed him that it was an old program and was not paid for with tax payers dollars. A week later he posts the same lie. Maybe I just need to stay off the political pages.

    ReplyDelete
  36. No Joe, we have to be just like you said Obama is. You said he "has risen above it" and we mush follow that example. The conservatives keep coming back with the same bs because that is ALL they have...bs.

    They can never run on their policies because they have been proven NOT to work. They can't run on their success because they haven't had any.

    They can only use Anti-Government fear tactics and Anti-Liberal talking points because of what they've done in the past which has changed conservatism into something abstract and undefinable.

    They know it and have know it for decades.

    We can't just allow them to get away with bashing liberals to win elections and then get in office and DO NOTHING.

    Last night I saw the video of the Tea Party attacking Gifford on MSNBC and one of the Tea Party Members had one of those yellow don't tread on me flags and yelled out "Jew" to her. There is no way they can deny they aren't a violent, purposely intimidating group.

    If we allow them to win they will continue to use these tactics on all politicians until they control our Government with violence and intimidation no different than the KKK did back in the 50s and early 60s.

    Do we want this?

    ReplyDelete
  37. This WAS poetry in action! I saw CNN last night dissecting the memorial, which I thought was completely inappropriate, and I told David Gergen just that. I also said he really missed the mark on this one and was pretty much out of touch. This was a big, fat Presidential hug for a country that needed and welcomed it. And. . . . who cares if the audience applauded? They also wanted and needed to clap. Geeeez, I'm getting pissed all over again. I'm sure this is not the last time you will hear from me.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hate it when CNN does that. It makes them look just as bad as faux when they dissect what Obama says! Nicely put, David.

    ReplyDelete
  39. If those people in that community wanted to applaud, then by God let them applaud. THEY needed it. To hell with CNN.

    And thank you, guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. It was most inspiring. Having the President come there to share in their grief, meant so much to them. After last night, there is no doubt who will be the most popular President for 2012, and that's gonna be hard for anyone who runs against him to beat!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I cried....

    I will splash the next puddle I see. Tomorrow, when I make one at our aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  42. David, that brought tears to my eyes. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  43. A beautiful piece that I know I will read again and again....Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Awesome - very awesome

    ReplyDelete
  45. Splendidly written! I share your sentiments! Thank you, David.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautifully written, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  47. An exquisite piece from David.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Utterly fantastic, well said!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Mac Diesel likes this

    ReplyDelete
  50. Ike Waller likes this

    ReplyDelete
  51. Janice Woodfork MontgomeryJanuary 13, 2011 at 9:12 AM

    Janice Woodfork Montgomery likes this

    ReplyDelete
  52. EXACTLY Swapna and Midge!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Paula Grier likes this

    ReplyDelete
  54. Naked Liberal ‎(Rob)January 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM

    Very well said David. I’ll be waiting with you in my heart for the next rain puddle that shows itself where I live. Thanks for sharing your work on our page. You're a good writer and a beautiful person. Much love and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your wife is right. It’s up. I’m not sure how well I did proofing it. Too hard not to get sucked into the meaning. Could be rife with spelling errors for all I know, but if it is, no one else will notice either.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Stephanie Moore BiekJanuary 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

    Stephanie Moore Biek likes this

    ReplyDelete
  57. i voted 4 Obama in 08. it was the 1st time i voted Dem. there was no way i was gonna vote 4 McCain w Palin as his running mate. i wudn't vote 4 her as garbage lady! this over-heated political rhetoric in recent years is another example of the decay of this country.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Karen Pitzen likes this

    ReplyDelete
  59. Vicky Willhelm likes this

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks for reminding us about the man that I am proud to call the President of the United States of America!

    ReplyDelete
  61. THANKS FOR A WELL WRITTEN PEICE THANKS FOR REMINDING ME WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT, THANKS. I HAD ALMOST FORGOTTEN, THE PLITE THE FIGHT THANKS FOR AWEAKING MY MIND SO THAT I MAY BELIVE AGAIN AND THANKS FOR THE MAN I CAN KINDLY CALL MY PRESIDENT

    ReplyDelete